My thoughts, mostly about stripping and writing. Maybe a little bit about tattoos, politics, and octopuses, but mostly about stripping and writing.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Name Game



I’m in the beginning stages of writing my next novel… and by beginning stages I mean trying to name the main character. I realized I couldn’t decide what her mother would name her until I knew something about her mother so I spent several hours last night outlining her mother’s life, which will help with outlining the entire book… but still… no name.

Then I went to the baby name sites, which I used to visit so much for writing purposes as a middle-schooler my mom probably thought I was pregnant.

Still no luck.

I reread my outline and added some notes about the mother’s personality. That’s when I realized she was impulsive and wouldn’t second-guess the name I originally imagined for her daughter back when I first came up with the story.

Sometimes journeys are meant to lead you right back to the beginning. With that in mind, I have a name!

No comments:

Post a Comment