My thoughts, mostly about stripping and writing. Maybe a little bit about tattoos, politics, and octopuses, but mostly about stripping and writing.

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Just having an Obama moment…



The highlight of my week so far has been watching the DNC convention on TV. I truly do love American politics. I have ever since I saw Obama’s keynote address at John Kerry’s nomination and thought, why can’t this guy be president?

When I asked that question, adults told me he might someday, but it was too soon. They were still saying that in 2007 when he began campaigning. Although I knew I would be 5 months too young to vote in the 2008 election, I still got excited. I read articles and watched political shows, I invested hope and even some of the money I was earning at my first minimum wage job into the campaign. My mom drove me and my sister over an hour so we could see Obama speak at a rally, back when he was still trailing Hillary. I’ll never forget that day, and I’ll never forget that November night I sat watching the news as it became more and more clear that yes, he was actually going to win this.

Four years later, I still support my president. I am proud of him for getting so many things done- most of what he said he’d accomplish at that speech my mother took me to- despite facing so many setbacks. One thing I wish he could have followed through on was closing Guantanamo, but nobody’s perfect. Healthcare, gay rights, women’s rights, taking down Bin Laden, the list goes on and on. It’s true that there aren’t many jobs available to me… but isn’t it funny that the Republicans say “it’s not the government’s role to create jobs,” and then try to bash Obama for not creating more of them? The fact is, the economy is bad, but if it wasn’t for Obama it would be a lot worse.

I feel I am better off, and will continue to be better off as I get older, because of Barack Obama. I will have better access to healthcare. I can expect equal pay for equal work. And I am, and will be, an engaged citizen. Even though I was 5 months too young to vote for Obama the first time around, I’ve voted in midterm and issues elections… I still haven’t gotten informed enough to vote for judges yet, as my mother encourages me to do… I’m not a perfect voter but I feel I am a good one who will continue to improve. I’m so glad we have a good president who I believe will only improve in his second term. I’m so grateful that in my lifetime I will at least get one chance to vote for President Barack Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment